Thursday, March 22, 2012

John 'E J' Ganley


Sometime during the mid-seventies, I heard that John Ganley was severely injured in a car wreck - - I thought it was in the Memphis, TN area, but I never learned the outcome. But like with the Mongoose, Whitey, and some others of the Ko-Op days, I continued to search. Last fall I came upon an alumni site for Newton High School, and discovered a recent small photo taken of John (No address or way to contact him, but I recognized that face). Led me to further searching until I discovered him and his wife on FacebookHere are John's remarks shared from our recent email exchanges:

"After graduation from EIU in 1967, I taught and coached at high schools for 35 years. At first, I moved around quite a lot including jobs at Chicago Mt. Carmel (IL), Memphis (TN), Baton Rouge (LA) and St. Petersburg (FL).
John Ganley on the sidelines (Photo in the 1966 Warbler Yearbook)

Yes, I was in a serious car accident in Normal, Illinois, and it was a close call back in 1975. I was in the hospital with a head injury for a week. There were no lasting effects (My wife might disagree with that one).
Early coaching days (John on the right)
In 1976, I got married and stopped the moving. First our daughter, Shawn, was born. Then the twins, a boy and girl - - Erin and Chuck. They were ten weeks old, when their mother suddenly, unexpectedly died. That was in 1986. I was a single father for thirteen years. 
John with the twins (c. 1997)
Today my oldest daughter teaches high school and is an athletic trainer in Clearwater, Florida. In college, Shawn majored in health and athletic training but she teaches Algebra, health, English or whatever they need covered. My youngest daughter, Erin just graduated from college in December. She always wanted to travel and hopes to teach in South Korea. My son, Chuck graduated from Durham, England in January with his Masters in Finance and a 3.5 overall average. He is currently job-hunting in the New York area. None of my children are married; I encouraged them to travel and see the world first!
photo of John Ganley at LaHacienda in Hot Springs, AR
Dining in Hot Springs, AR  (Nov.  2011)
I had a heart attack in January of 1998 and after thirty-plus years had to retire from coaching. I almost kissed the world good-bye. Doctors implanted a defibrillator in my chest, and I am good as new. More recently, I have had a knee replacement (2004) for an old football injury. I take good care of myself. I bike ride daily and have gotten my wife to join me.

In June 1999 I married Dianna. She is the reason I moved from Florida to West Monroe, Louisiana. We have a good life. She is an artist and teaches art at West Monroe High School, her alma mater.

I enjoy watching the local teams play. West Monroe High has the 5AAA state championship football team, and I don't miss a game. I substitute teach there almost daily. Dianna says that she will retire in five years. I want to move back to Florida if that can be worked out. Dianna has lived in Louisiana all her life and her family is here, so this may take some convincing.

We travel back to Illinois every year. My mom (92 years old) and two of my brothers live in Decatur. Dianna and I go to Charleston and look around the old neighborhoods. The Ko-op is still there, but it appears to be unused. We also visit friends in Newton. Dianna's former pastor is retired in Springfield, and we have visited him.
EIU Football Reunion in 2008 (John seated at the table)
Back in 1974, Walt Stine was living in Normal, IL and was fixing to move to West Virginia - - last I heard of him.

I guess at the time I didn't know it, but my experiences at the Ko-op were some of the best years I ever knew. It's hard to believe I complained as much as I did then and have such good memories now. The best people I ever knew came from there, customers and co-workers alike. I think a reunion would be great."
Back in Florida (Summer 2011); enjoying retirement
John, you've had quite a life journey so far, and I'm glad that I and other Ko-Op workers have reconnected. Hope to see you sometime later this year. lj

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home