Ryan, Jack (Oct. 2, 1957). "Eastern’s Campus Hangouts". Daily Eastern News; p4.
In the everlasting tradition of college campus hangouts Eastern takes a backseat to no one. From sitting on the benches watching all the girls go by to jiving it up at a little campus jam session the student clientele spends its carefree hours of relaxation.
On three sides of the campus proper the students are accommodated by the Little Campus, Ko-Op, and Walts (commonly called the Open).
A history of the Ko-Op, Little Campus, and the Open consists also of the history of Walter Warmoth.
“Walt” bought the Little Campus in 1937, after having worked there during his school days. With the increase in enrollment, Walt soon had to build an additional room to accommodate its student patrons.
The converting of a grocery store to establish the Ko-Op soon followed, serving sandwiches, fountain goods, and hot meals.
When Lincoln and Douglas halls were erected, ‘Walt’ saw the need for one more “hangout” for the Eastern students, so, in 1953, he built the Open which has since become another favorite spot for the coke crowd to assemble.
Under the proprietorship of Ivan “Ike” Kennard, the “Little Campus” has become one of the most popular meeting places on campus. ‘Ike’. a navy pilot in the second world war, took over the “Little Campus” in 1948.
Also under the proprietorship of an Eastern graduate Larry Mizener, the Ko-Op is growing in popularity among Eastern students. Larry received his B.S. at Eastern and took over the Ko-Op in 1952.